October 31 is Halloween, and Soul Cakes are the traditional treat.
- 1 cup butter
- 3 3/4 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 6 tablespoons milk
- powdered sugar, to sprinkle on top
- Using a pastry blender cut 1 c. of butter into 3 3/4 cups of flour. I bought my first pastry blender just for this occasion.
- Blend in the sugar, nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon and allspice.
- In a separate bowl beat eggs, vinegar and milk together.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix.
- Kneed thoroughly to form a stiff dough. You really have to work this dough, I thought there was no way it was moist enough, but once I mashed it all up it was just right.
- Roll out to a 1/4 inch thickness and cut out 3 inch circles with a cookie cutter or glass.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar while still warm. ENJOY!!!
Feast Day Recipes — No Comments
HTML tags allowed in your comment: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>